- Tell me about yourself
My name is Vhahangwele Khuluvhe, I grew in Venda , Limpopo.
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
As a child I always dreamt of being an engineer, I was not aware of the different engineering careers but that is what I wanted to be.
- Where did you attend varsity and what did you study?
I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mining Engineering aith Honours from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- What motivated you to do that degree?
The curiosity to know what miners do underground and the process of extracting metals and minerals were extracted is what motivated me.
- How did you come across the MMP internship programme and why did you apply?
A link of the internship programme was sent to our fourth-year student group, I applied because there was an opening for Mining Engineering graduates.
- How has the internship programme shaped your career?
I benefited quite a lot from the internship:
- Presentation skills
- Project management skills
- Soft administration skills
- Confidence when engaging with OEMs
- Mine design and scheduling skills
- Underground exposure (Harmony Gold and Impala Platinum)
- Enhanced my research skills and Report writing
- Improved Microsoft suite efficiency
- Share some highlights
My biggest highlight was my direct involvement in the Isidingo Drill Challenge at Impala Platinum in the North WestProvince where we did time studies on different drill rigs.
- What impact do you foresee yourself making in your field?
I see myself improving the time spent on mining activities in an underground environment.
- What are some of the most significant lessons you have learnt so far in your career?
No two mines are the same and each mine requires its own focused study for a specific project. Projects only move as fast as you want them to, if one keeps delaying, there won’t be any progress and the best time to start any form of work is now!
- What one word would you use to describe yourself? Why?
Excellence, because I always give my work a hundred.
- What is your proudest moment?
Being part of the remote charging trials at the precinct and receiving Deswik software training certificates.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
I see myself as a mine overseer of one of the biggest mining companies in South Africa.
- What advice can you give those who would like to join the MMP Internship programme?
They must buckle-up and be ready for the most exciting professional journey of their career and that there is no better company to kickstart their careers than with MMP. I would do it all over it again if I could.