In February 2022, the Mandela Mining Precinct signed a memorandum of understanding with Royal Bafokeng Maseve’s Mine for the establishment of a test mine. The test mine situated in Rustenburg, North West is being developed as an industry site for research, development, and innovation as well as technology demonstration and testing.
The test mine will ultimately provide a facility for:
- The testing and demonstration of locally and internationally manufactured mining equipment;
- Research and development activities aligned to the SAMERDI mining research programme;
- Synergistic opportunities for research projects being undertaken by the Mine Health and Safety Council to be trialled and tested;
- Research work in mining conducted through universities;
- The provision of facilities for undergraduate and postgraduate students to conduct vacation work, research and vocational training
- The opportunity to conduct practical training for government certificates of competency;
- A site for establishing a practical technology incubator; and
- A site to enable local industrialisation and start-up companies to be incubated.
All these initiatives will be coordinated through the MMP and its partners.
For more information, contact Jurgens